Friday 21 October 2011

Upcoming Conference

I'm very excited to have the opportunity to attend a writers' conference in Niagara Falls next weekend.  I'll be missing two of my law classes for it, which, for the child of two teachers, is a pretty big deal!  There's been a lot of prep work for this event—not the least of which is having completed several drafts of Beyond Reason, the book I will get the chance to pitch to New York editors and agents. 

Beyond Reason has been a work in progress for four years.  It began as a short story in Carolyn Smart’s class, “Creative Writing in Prose,” and developed into a collection of five.  They follow the lives of two foster brothers through the last fifteen years of the seventeenth century.  The stories are primarily set in southern England, and I was lucky enough to be able to visit most of the locations during an exchange to the University of Aberdeen two years ago.  For a brief synopsis of Beyond Reason, visit www.cmgbooks.com/3.html.  

The collection has been critiqued in its entirety by the Kingston Writers’ Circle, and in part by the Brooklyn Fiction Writers’ Circle and the University of Aberdeen Creative Writing Society.  I also owe thanks to the folks at Effective Editing, who helped me iron out what I hope will be the last of the grammar problems.  

I’ll keep you posted on the results of this conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment