Wednesday 19 September 2012

Long Time No Blog: Updates All Round


So, it’s been a while since I posted anything new.  I forgot how hectic the beginning of the school year can be, and this year’s start-up was complicated by the search for articling positions.  

 

An articling position is to law students what a residency is to medical students.  In order to practice law, we must complete 10 months of articling following the completion of our JD or LLB degrees.  These placements aren’t arranged by the school; we have to find them ourselves.  With the economy as it is, articling positions—especially for people like me who want to stay in a small town—aren’t as commonplace as they used to be.  Although I haven’t found a position yet, and will continue to be looking as the school year progresses, I’ve decided not to get too stressed out about it.  The worst thing that can happen is I get a year off to work exclusively on my writing … which actually wouldn’t be all that bad! ;)

 

Speaking of writing: in ten days, I will be meeting one-on-one with Craig Pyette, a senior editor at the Knopf Random Canada Publishing Group.  At this meeting, made possible by the Writers’ Community of Durham Region, Mr. Pyette will go over my query letter, synopsis, and the first twenty pages of Beyond Reason.  I’m very excited to see what he has to say, and will keep you posted.

 

Unfortunately, between prepping Beyond Reason, applying to articling positions, editing for the Canadian Labour and Employment Law Journal, and editing the Harper’s Word for the third time, Underground has been pushed to the back burner.  However, I have a few free days coming up due to class cancellations, and although I have to use some of that time to get caught up on my individual study project, I hope to finish up chapter 6 as well. 
 
Any suggestions on how to effectively split time between writing and work?  Snatching those ten minutes between class is semi-productive, but it isn't enough!  I'd love to hear your tips and tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment